Having a dog that passes gas frequently is not a pleasant experience. Sadly, most owners quickly point the finger at their furry friend without addressing the true cause for concern—their dog’s food.
Your dog’s tendency to pass gas is just a signal that your pet is uncomfortable with the formula they are eating. The cause of this extra unpleasant gas is mainly due to the dog’s digestive tract, and other times it is due to intestinal issues. In any case, this problem can be easily solved. So, this article will go through the factors that makes your dog pass gas often and review the relevant food to make a positive diet change.
We will be reviewing dog foods that are affordable and effective to make your dog comfortable, friendly, and active. The listed dog foods below are our top picks.
1. Taste of the Wild — High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Is your dog passing gas a little too much? Try the Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food formed with novel proteins, including wild ox and buffalo. This formula serves as a cancer prevention agent, provides prebiotics, and aids solid absorption.
This product comes from “Taste of The Wild” brand and is suitable for a dog at an adult life stage. Moreover, this is suitable for all breeds as the food form is dry. Additionally, the product is safe from all toxins, including a limited ingredient diet. Similarly, it is grain-free, gluten-free, low glycemic, pea-free, and is non-GMO.
While this dog food is great for most Pit bulls, we must state that certain dogs may be allergic to it, and it may cause gas or a change in skin coloration. We advise that you observe your furry friend for a few days after you begin feeding them with this formula.
- High Protein
- Antioxidants are present
- Some Pit bulls are allergic to it
- May cause skin color change
2. Purina ONE — SmartBlend Sensitive Systems Adult Formula Dry Dog Food
Purina ONE brings you the healthiest form of dog food, which avoids giving your dog gas problems. Furthermore, this food is not only suitable for puppies, but for all breeds. The product is safe from corn, wheat, soy, grain, chicken, and pea. Moreover, it is non-GMO and gluten-free.
This high-protein canine food includes genuine salmon as the primary ingredient. You can serve this meal solo or with rice, oats, and any other great meal. Most canines, particularly Pit bulls, thoroughly enjoy this protein-rich crunchy canine kibble. It is ideal for dogs with hypersensitive skin and stomachs. Pitbulls who are picky about their food may reject this meal due to the unusual smell.
- Antioxidants present.
- Calcium Inside
- High Protein Content
- Easy Digestion
- Veterinarian recommended
- High fiber content
- Caramel Inside
- Not ideal for picky eaters.
3. Nulo Freestyle Limited + Salmon Recipe Grain-Free Puppy and Adult Dry Dog Food
If you need a meal filled with nutritious ingredients that guarantee the overall well-being of your dog, then this Nulo formula is ideal. The probiotics present in this food helps to boost your dog’s immune system, keeping it at its healthiest. More so, it supports digestive health, i.e., preventing diarrhea and stomach discomfort.
The food is best suited for puppies mainly. The food type is dry, so all breeds of dogs can ingest this food. Like all good brands, Nulo also offers non-GMO, chicken, pea, and grain-free ingredients.
Moreover, other ingredients, such as the omegas present in the canola and salmon oil, keep its skin healthy. Coupled with all of these are vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals to make your dog feel its best. Ensure that you properly manage your Pit bulls portions as this formula is high in calories.
- Prevents and cures loose stooling
- Keeps your pup active and agile
- Gives your puppy a shiny coat
- Restores Dog appetite
- High in calories
- The 10-pound bag is not resealable
4. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin: Vegetable & Salmon Entree Canned Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet consists of natural ingredients that your dog needs. It is nutritious, grain-free, and easy to digest. The food is suitable for adult dogs. Additionally, the food is wet, which is easier for dogs to digest.
It contains the best quality of protein with tastes and flavors that your dogs won’t be able to resist! Their best-selling flavor consists of fish flavor which is highly appealing to dogs. The omega 6 fatty acids and Vitamin E helps to nourish your dog’s skin. Added to all these are the appetizers such as carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, turkey, and a lot more that your dog would enjoy eating.
- Stops indigestion
- Stops itchy skin and makes the coat shine.
- Various flavors give your dog a lot to choose from
- Hard to mix with other softer canned foods
5. Rachael Ray Nutrish just six natural lamb meal and brown rice ingredient limited dry dog food
Rachael Rays Nutrish dry dog food has been making its name in the pet world for a while now. Since the dog food is dry, it is easier for owners to manage it for their pets. Moreover, the food is suitable for large, medium, and small breeds. The flavor comes in a delightful meal of lamb and brown rice.
This product comprises natural dog food with additional minerals and vitamins. It doesn’t come in a lot of flavors, and appetizers do not seem to be prevalent. The ingredients consist of supplements, such as Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and Riboflavin Supplement. Aside from these are proteins such as meat, poultry, or seafood, as well as wholesome veggies. This formula consists of ingredients that help dogs with allergies or sensitive systems stay healthy.
- Limited diet to help dogs with a sensitive stomach
- Good for dogs with allergies
- Reasonable Price
- Stops itchy skin
- Makes the fur fuller and shiny
- The high amount of sodium might lead to heart problems
- Do not serve on dogs with a sweet tooth. It’s not delicious
6. Go Sensitivity +Shine Limited Ingredient Diet Duck Recipe Dry Dog Food
Go! highlights contains duck meat as its source of protein for this dry dog food — amongst a few other products. This product is awesome for dogs with unique dietary restrictions. Moreover, if your pet is an adult, this food is most suitable for them, as the product is made specifically for adults.
Ingredients such as grain, gluten, and omega oils assist your dog from discomforts such as dry or itchy skin, diarrhea, and loss of fur. This product is good for any stage of the life of your dog.
- Drastically puts an end to itchy or dry skin
- Potato and chicken-free for dogs with allergies
- Builds healthy skin, muscles, and blood
- High-quality dry food
- Manages a dog’s weight properly
- Ideal for highly selective dogs
- Not recommended for dogs with Duck allergies
- Not for Dogs who like other forms of protein such as fish or meat.
7. Natural Balance LID. Limited Ingredient Diets Lamb & Brown Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
The product from Natural Balance has lamb, gluten-free brown rice, vitamins, and minerals that make your dog feel whole and healthy. It regulates your dog’s digestive system and prevents them from having diarrhea. The acids contained in the lamb assist in muscle building, and the fiber present in the brown rice regulates your dog’s body system.
Moreover, we recommend this for dogs that may be prone to head tremors as it helps ease the pain. However, if your dog has multiple allergies, do not feed them this dish alone. Also, this food may make your dog smell foul, so watch your dog for a few days to know if it’s working. The best part about this meal is that it should fit any budget.
- Helps dogs with tender body systems
- Keeps dogs active and prevents them from falling ill
- Eases head tremors
- Not good for dogs allergic to brown rice
- For dogs with multiple allergies, do not serve this food alone
- It might make your dog smell unpleasant
8. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Sensitive Stomach & Skin Recipes
Hills claims that this product aims to create a means of a balanced diet for your dog. It certainly puts in an effort at doing so. For starters, it doesn’t contain too much fat. The benefit of this is that you are inadvertently extending the lifespan of your dog and keeping his heart strong and pumping.
However, in contradiction to this, the sodium might affect your dog’s heart poorly. Ingredients such as Omega 6 fatty acids and Vitamins E give them luscious fur and skin while enabling them to better deal with digestion issues. Research shows that this meal is not suitable for pregnant or nursing dogs.
- It gives your dog fuller and shinier fur
- Ensures that your dog’s diet is balanced.
- Helps ensure that your dog is all-around and active.
- It contains just enough amounts of fat.
- Not suitable for pregnant or nursing dogs.
- It contains high sodium, which can affect your dog’s heart negatively
9. Purina Pro Plan — Focus Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan’s dry product contains oatmeal, natural fiber, sunflower oil, and real salmon as its major ingredient. The product is good for all breed sizes, and works in bettering your pet’s stomach, joints, and coat. The flavor is a favorite among dogs as it gives a complete meal of salmon and rice. This lovely mix of beneficial ingredients will always keep your Pitbull healthy and free from gas.
Furthermore, it doesn’t contain wheat, corn, or soy. Great for dogs who are allergic to these ingredients. It focuses majorly on sensitive skin, amongst other things. It has a good amount of protein which helps strengthen your dog’s muscles. However, avoid this formula if your Pitbull is allergic to chicken.
- Good for dogs with allergies
- Gentle on stomachs
- Good for inactive dogs.
- Strengthens muscles and bones
- Great for sensitive skin
- It has a dry grain, fish odor.
- Not good for dogs with chicken allergies
10. Holistic Select Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, Adult & Puppy Salmon
Holistic made this product for overall healthiness, and we can safely say it achieved its objective. This product keeps your dog from having skin allergies, gives it a nicer coat, and balances its weight. The product is great for all kinds of breeds, and both adult dogs and puppies can enjoy the food.
The product is rich in fiber, pumpkin, papaya, antioxidant pomegranate, salmon, and flaxseed. All these ingredients have nutritional values such as Omega fatty acids and Vitamins. If you have a dog that needs to increase its zinc intake, this formula will need to be combined with zinc-rich foods to be effective.
- Ensures that a good diet circulates the body
- It contains digestives to help properly distribute proteins and starch
- Good for dogs allergic to grain, wheat, artificial preservatives, and poultry
- It helps with your dog’s coat
- It is low in Zinc which might affect your dog.
- Not good for dogs allergic to salmon
Buyers Guide: What to Look Out for When Buying Dog Food
What makes your dog gassy, and what can you do to help? – This guide provides you with helpful answers to that question.
Though our list contains the best foods to prevent gas, we thought it is necessary to give you some helpful tips that’ll give your dog healthier digestion. We would like to advise you to go over these points thoroughly
Here are some things you should know.
Gassy Dogs, What’s the Cause?
Having your dog let out a little gas here and there isn’t a problem. Farting is as natural as breathing. But it becomes a problem when it becomes very regular.
Like humans, your Pit bull’s eating habits are what causes their tendency to pass gas. Vets say diets that contain grains or high-fiber carbs are difficult to digest. This indigestion often leads to gas issues. In some cases, dog meals with a lot of meat also cause flatulence. Cases like this are more common with sensitive dogs and the gas expelled usually smells bad.
Besides the causes listed, other things might cause flatulence. They are:
- Spoiled meals
- Eating too fast
- Growth of bacteria in the digestive tract
- Change of diet
- Parasites in your dog’s intestine
- Bowel diseases
- Foods that are too spicy
Let’s look at some things you can do to help your gassy dog. You can:
- Adjust the size of the meal and the time your dog eats.
- Reduce the content of grains and high-protein fiber in your dog’s diet
- Stop feeding your dog treats with high meat content
- Visit a vet to know if bacteria or parasites cause your dog’s flatulence
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I Use Homemade Remedies for My Dog’s Flatulence?
Indeed, some foods such as ginger, peppermint oil (edible), and yogurt help your dog’s digestion. Adding these items to your dog’s diet could yield positive results. But, before you try new things, ensure you consult a professional for advice first.
2. Does Feeding Carbs to My Sensitive Dog Help?
If you’ve noticed your dog doesn’t digest high-fiber carbs well, you should switch to meals with digestible carbohydrates. Also, it’ll help if your dog food doesn’t contain hard grains (like corn and wheat). There are better alternatives for sensitive dogs.
3. My Dog Is Gassy. What’s the Best Remedy?
The food your dog eats is what causes flatulence. So, the best remedy for your gassy dog is simply an improved diet. You should also pay attention to allergic reactions that could come up due to the food your dog eats. Generally, you should stick to a high-quality diet.
4. What Food Should I Give to My Gassy Dog?
High-fiber and high-fat food are known to cause digestive issues for dogs. Therefore, you should stick to easily digestible foods. Meals with fresh ingredients work best.
5. What Ingredients Should I Avoid?
Dairy, low-quality grain, and food additives are known to cause flatulence. You should also be mindful of common sources of protein commonly found in dog food. If you’re yet to discover the food causing your dog’s flatulence, we advise you to start an elimination diet till the condition of your dog improves.
In choosing a dog’s meal, it is important to understand how their body works; that way, you can become aware of what allergies they have. The benefit of doing so is making healthy food choices and avoiding making mistakes that endanger your dog.
The meals we have outlined here should ensure your dog eats and lives healthy. It should also get rid of your Pitbull’s tendency to pass gas. Making the right food decision for your dog, will ease his digestive system. This will also help you be at ease regarding your pet’s health.